谁把狗放出来了?加密货币像以往一样疯狂和快乐

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
发表于 2022-6-15 04:04:42 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式

马上注册 与译者交流

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
Who Let the Doge Out? The Cryptocurrency Is As Nutty and Joyful As Ever
The much wow Dogecoin has had its notable influencers—including, for a brief moment, me.
illustration with three humans with dog faces and one dog sitting at a table with coins
ILLUSTRATIONS: GABRIEL ALCALA

EVERY HUMAN ENDEAVOR must have its influencers, and Dogecoin is no exception.

But in case these influencers haven't influenced you yet: Dogecoin is a cryptocurrency, a virtual medium of exchange made valuable not by any bank or government but by those who use it. Don't worry. It's not a Johnny-come-lately crypto like Potcoin or Fonziecoin; it's almost venerable. Invented in 2013 by Billy Markus (then a software engineer at IBM) and Jackson Palmer (then a product manager at Adobe), Dogecoin was conceived as a cute comeback to the deadly serious Bitcoin, the cloak-and-dagger global-finance opera that started in 2009. Meant to be relatable, Dogecoin was inspired by the beloved Doge meme of the Obama era, which shows a photo of a cream-colored Shiba Inu embellished with enigmatic phrases in Comic Sans typeface.

illustration of Jack Dorsey
IDEAS
While Jack Dorsey Mans the Monastery
VIRGINIA HEFFERNAN

kaleidoscopic abstract processor
BURIED TREASURE
The Quest to Liberate $300K of Bitcoin From an Old Zip File
LILY HAY NEWMAN

article image
REALM OF COINS
The Hustlers Fueling Cryptocurrency’s Marketing Machine
ERIN GRIFFITH

Doge is a misspelling of—well, yes, doggy. That's the joke. That's all. To spin cryptocurrency out of this joke is a better joke still. The best joke of all? The price of Dogecoin has jumped more than 1,050 percent from the beginning of 2021 to the time of this writing. Of course, by the time you read this, that percentage will be much higher. (Or lower. Crypto proceeds in tantrums.)

And Dogecoin would never have gotten that far without influencers. In the Gilded Age, influencers were known as robber barons, and if one of them, someone like Andrew Carnegie or J. D. Rockefeller, invested in a commodity, you'd see it on ye olde steam-powered stock ticker. More than making steel or railroads, the job of robber barons, with their enormous shares of the whole market, was to manufacture fluctuations by pumping money in or dumping stock—and then buying and selling at whatever prices they chose. These days, influence is exerted by those who don't even (necessarily) invest. No one knows exactly, for example, what Jack Dorsey of Twitter is into, but since February 2, 2020, the day he tweeted the hashtag “#bitcoin” (and debuted Twitter's Bitcoin emoji), the price of $BTC has gone wild.

ADVERTISEMENT

Twitter bird dropping Dogecoin from its beak
I want to try that. #bitcoin. #bitcoin. Nothing? Anyone?

TRENDING NOW

Every Dog Breed Explained (Part 1)

Most Popular
DeWalt Maxfit driving bit set
GEAR
21 Essential Tools You Should Have at Home

MATT JANCER

Europcar car rental depot exterior, Lancefield Quay, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
BUSINESS
Why It’s Impossible to Rent a Car Right Now

NICOLE KOBIE

Audioengine A1 speakers
GEAR
35 Father’s Day Gifts for the Dependable Dad in Your Life

MATT JANCER AND GEAR TEAM

HiSense PX1 Pro projector on orange and red abstract background
GEAR
Hisense’s Short-Throw Laser Projector Is a Glorious Plug-and-Play

PARKER HALL

ADVERTISEMENT

In any case, the influencers who dusted off silly old Dogecoin, after the joke had gotten shopworn and trading was flat, are a forerunner of the merry pranksters on Reddit who put the squeeze to hedge funds that were short-selling GameStop in January. The Reddit investor-pirates liked $DOGE for the same reason others liked $GME: It's a damned likable thing, with childlike nostalgia to it, and it was down on its luck. Over the years, $DOGE turned from a once-cute teen to a disgruntled pandemic-grounded twentysomething (who is now trading crypto). Along the way, vice-signaler and chronic crimer John McAfee, who Belizean police suspected was involved in the killing of his neighbor, allegedly pumped and dumped Dogecoin and, according to court documents unsealed in March, made a cool $2 million. Then, in 2019, enthusiasm for Dogecoin went back to the Redditors, where it belonged. Earlier this year, the price spiked from about a third of a cent per coin to five cents a coin—and has stayed in the black ever since. The subreddit r/dogecoin does indeed make Dogecoin look like fun: “The most amazing place on reddit! A subreddit for sharing, discussing, hoarding and wow'ing about Dogecoins. The much wow innovative crypto-currency.”

I've decided to stop complaining about the crypto obsessives around me—the ones who say “HODL” for “hold on for dear life” and seem to measure out their lives in satoshis.

But the chief Dogecoin hype man is not Reddit. It's Elon Musk. As amusing as Doge is, a jeu d'esprit in a world of stormy libertarians, we would not be talking about it at all if Musk the oracle hadn't tweeted, “One word: DOGE,” on December 20, 2020. This drove the price up 20 percent and led some—maybe just me—to wonder whether Doge was not a misspelling from a goofy meme but rather the right-spelled word for a Venetian grandee in gold robes the weight of a Tesla. Someone like Musk.

In fact, though I myself do nothing with crypto, all year I have been wondering about dogs, doges, memes-made-currency, and whether it's possible to put a price on lulz. And as I wondered this, this past March, I decided $DOGE was a good punch line for something. As one does, I kept the word canistered until I saw my chance to deploy it, and then I tweeted at a friend that I'd be happy to pay him in $DOGE for something or other.

The tweet wasn't even especially funny. It was just a pretext to type “$DOGE”!

But then I became a Dogecoin influencer!

谁把狗放出来了?加密货币像以往一样疯狂和快乐
轰动一时的Dogecoin已经有了著名的影响者--包括我在内的短暂时刻。
插图:三个长着狗脸的人类和一只坐在桌子旁的狗,上面有硬币。
插图。GABRIEL ALCALA

人类的每一项事业都必须有其影响者,Dogecoin也不例外。

但如果这些影响者还没有影响到你的话。Dogecoin是一种加密货币,一种不是由任何银行或政府而是由使用它的人赋予价值的虚拟交易媒介。不要担心。它不是像Potcoin或Fonziecoin那样晚来的加密货币;它几乎是古老的。狗币是由比利-马库斯(当时是IBM的软件工程师)和杰克逊-帕尔默(当时是Adobe的产品经理)在2013年发明的,被认为是对致命的严肃的比特币的一种可爱的回击,比特币是2009年开始的隐蔽的全球金融歌剧。Dogecoin的灵感来自于奥巴马时代深受欢迎的Doge备忘录,其中显示了一张奶油色柴犬的照片,上面用Comic Sans字体点缀着神秘的短语。

杰克-多尔西的插图
理念
当杰克-多尔西在寺院里的时候
弗吉尼亚-赫弗南

万花筒式的抽象处理器
埋藏的宝藏
从一个旧压缩文件中解放30万美元比特币的探索
Lily Hay Newman

文章图片
钱币的世界
为加密货币的营销机器加油的骗子们
ERIN GRIFFITH

Doge是一个错误的拼写,嗯,是的,Doggy。这是个笑话。仅此而已。将加密货币从这个笑话中剥离出来是一个更好的笑话。最好的笑话是什么?从2021年年初到写这篇文章的时候,Dogecoin的价格已经跃升了1050%以上。当然,当你读到这篇文章时,这个百分比会高得多。(或者更低。加密货币在发脾气时进行。)

如果没有影响者,Dogecoin永远不会走到这一步。在镀金时代,有影响力的人被称为强盗大亨,如果他们中的一个人,如安德鲁-卡内基或J-D-洛克菲勒,投资于一种商品,你会在你们古老的蒸汽驱动的股票行情表上看到它。比起制造钢铁或铁路,拥有整个市场巨大份额的强盗大亨们的工作是通过注入资金或抛售股票来制造波动,然后以他们选择的任何价格购买和出售。如今,施加影响的是那些甚至不(一定)投资的人。例如,没有人知道Twitter的杰克-多尔西到底喜欢什么,但自从2020年2月2日,也就是他在推特上发布 "#比特币 "标签(并首次推出Twitter的比特币表情符号)的那天起,BTC的价格就疯狂上涨。

广告

推特上的鸟儿从它的嘴里掉下狗币
我想试试这个 #比特币 #比特币。什么都没有?有人吗?

现在的流行趋势

每一个狗品种的解释(第一部分)

最受欢迎
德沃特Maxfit驾驶位套装
装备
你家里应该有的21种基本工具

马特-詹克

英国苏格兰格拉斯哥Lancefield Quay的Europcar汽车租赁厂外部
业务
为什么现在租车是不可能的?

NICOLE KOBIE

Audioengine A1扬声器
装备
为你生活中的可靠的父亲准备的35件父亲节礼物

马特-詹瑟和齿轮团队

橙色和红色抽象背景下的HiSense PX1 Pro投影仪
装备
海信的短焦激光投影机是一个光荣的即插即用的产品

帕克-霍尔

广告

在任何情况下,在这个笑话变得陈旧和交易平淡之后,这些有影响力的人掸掉了愚蠢的老Dogecoin,他们是Reddit上快乐的恶作剧者的先驱,他们在1月份对卖空GameStop的对冲基金进行了压制。Reddit上的投资盗版者喜欢DOGE美元的原因与其他人喜欢GME美元的原因相同:它是一个该死的可爱的东西,有孩子般的怀旧情绪,而且它的运气很差。多年来,$DOGE从一个曾经可爱的少年变成了一个不满大流行病的二十多岁的人(他现在正在交易加密货币)。一路上,伯利兹警方怀疑参与杀害邻居的副签名者和慢性犯罪者约翰-麦卡菲(John McAfee)据称抽出并抛出了Dogecoin,根据3月份解封的法庭文件,他赚了200万美元。然后,在2019年,对Dogecoin的热情又回到了Redditors,那里是它的归宿。今年早些时候,价格从每枚硬币的三分之一飙升至每枚硬币的五美分--此后一直保持在黑色状态。r/dogecoin这个子版块确实让Dogecoin看起来很有趣。"reddit上最神奇的地方! 这是一个分享、讨论、囤积和赞叹Dogecoins的子reddit。多哇创新的加密货币"。

我已经决定不再抱怨我周围的加密货币痴迷者--那些说 "HODL "代表 "为亲爱的生活而坚持 "的人,并且似乎用沙托什来衡量他们的生活。

但是Dogecoin的首席炒作者不是Reddit。它是埃隆-马斯克。尽管Doge很有趣,是暴风雨中的自由主义者的游戏,但如果不是马斯克这个神谕者在推特上说:"一个字:DOGE",我们根本就不会谈论它。DOGE,"在2020年12月20日。这推动了价格上涨20%,并导致一些人--也许只是我--怀疑Doge是否不是一个愚蠢的备忘录中的拼写错误,而是一个穿着金色长袍的威尼斯大人物的正确拼写,其重量相当于一辆特斯拉。像马斯克这样的人。

事实上,虽然我自己对加密货币一无所知,但整整一年,我一直在想狗、狗、备忘录制成的货币,以及是否有可能为笑料定价。当我想知道这一点时,在过去的3月,我决定$DOGE是一个很好的打趣的东西。正如人们所做的那样,我把这个词保存起来,直到我看到我有机会使用它,然后我在推特上对一个朋友说,我很高兴用DOGE美元支付他的东西或其他。

这条推特甚至不是特别有趣。它只是一个打出"$DOGE "的借口!但后来我成为了Dogecoin的一员。

但后来我成了一个有影响力的Dogecoin的人!

分享到:  QQ好友和群QQ好友和群 QQ空间QQ空间 腾讯微博腾讯微博 腾讯朋友腾讯朋友
收藏收藏 分享分享 分享淘帖 顶 踩
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|小黑屋|手机版|网站地图|关于我们|ECO中文网 ( 京ICP备06039041号  

GMT+8, 2024-4-27 03:40 , Processed in 3.480946 second(s), 19 queries .